View Single Post
Unread 10/18/2008, 03:28 PM   #5
OCMS
Registered Member

I made the rookie mistake of purchasing an achilles as it is decribed as a "3" in regards to care level (should be less, although subjective I know) in A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species by Scott W. Michael. Luckily, it has done superbly over the last 2 months since purchase. Ich set in almost immediately, but was kept in check with diet and cleaners, and has cleared.
After receiving the achilles, I met Mike at Inland Aquatics, who has been a great resource in regards to care for this beautiful fish. I would not have purchased it with the knowledge I have now at my elementary level. I think luck and the size of my tank have been the only saving graces.

Waterflow and tank dimensions:
DT is 240g (96x24x24)
GPH unknown. I could only guess, as I haven't taken the time to calculate it. CL on ReeFlo dart with 2x EcoTech Marine MP40w (battery backup)
Tank had been set up as a FOWLR for 4 yrs before we moved it, added a refugium, added more LR, and turned it into a reef tank 3 months ago. So although the tank is "new", it had been re-established with the existing water, sand and LR.
10% weekly water changes with current set up.
3" argonite and oolithic sand bed.
350# LR

Acclimation and quarantine:
Drip method, and straight into the DT (another questionable rookie mistake)

Tank mates:
All behaving well after an initial feeling out period. No other Acanthurus sp. however (which I will not do in this small of a tank).
Pseudocheilinus ocellatus
Apogon leptacanthus (x10)
Valencienna puellaris
Elacatinus sp. (ORA mated pair)
Amphiprion sp. (ORA Picasso mated pair)
Xanthichthys auromarginatus (pair)
Paracanthurus hepatus
Zebrasoma desjardini
Labroides dimidiatus
plus a number of invertebrates

Suggested foods:
Red and green SeaVeggies with Selcon, and freshwater PE Mysis. Ignores flakes and pellets.

Recommended size at purchase:
4.5" purchased 2 months ago from the Diver's Den, and gaining in girth.

OCMS is offline   Reply With Quote