View Single Post
Unread 02/11/2018, 09:33 AM   #24
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

This video should help explain things--->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYhAp6GFNz8

I set up the drains on my 125 this way and it works very well. My drains are silent most of the time. I did my returns a little differently but same principle as in the video. With a 4' tank, I probably wouldn't bother with dual returns though. IMHO.

The trick to keeping the water going over the overflow quiet is to set the Emergency drain standpipe so water doesn't fall more than a few inches into the overflow. The Emergency drain will control the height of the water in the overflow box.

If I were you, I'd consider building a manifold into the return plumbing. You could then feed the skimmer with the Mag12. IMO the Mag12 would produce too much flow through the sump without being throttled back with a ball valve. You would have plenty pumping capacity to run both the skimmer and the display with just the Mag12.

Anecdote: I initially set my 125 up with a Mag12 as the return pump. It was moving way too much water through the sump without being throttled back. The Mag12 is now my mixing station pump and my return pump is now a DCT8000 running at 40%.

Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote