View Single Post
Unread 11/27/2011, 06:41 PM   #114
gibbus123
Registered Member

Thanks for replying, the marine whites are marketed as 14k but look like pinkish to me.
This wagon the websiteof Arcadia for marine whites

I'll be getting some Marine blues

The mixed white and blue is not available but the LFS here has some china aqua blue knock offs. I'm just not sure if it's any good. My fixture originally contained ATI bulbs but it's no longer available here
http://reefcentral.com/forums/images.../headwally.gif

Do you think these bulbs would work? Or should I go Change to MH entirely?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropTrea View Post
Is there any chance you can get some 250 nm atinic bulbs like ATI's Blue Plus bulbs? These would be a much better mix with your (marine white bulbs which are probably 10,000K bulbs. The prefered combo would then be two of each. The 10,000K bulbs produce a lot of light in the red and yellow end of the spectrum and going with 3 or 4 of them would be just too much.

Corals like a lot of light in the range from 420nm to about 470nm which is in the BLUE range and a little light in the yellow and red range. Execessive light in the red range can actualy cause more problems than actualy no light in that range.

The 420 nm atinic Blues are going back to old school where it was thaught that those were the only blue frequencies corals utalized. However modern research found corals use virtualy many different band widths of light in the blue range. Also limiting the blue light to just the 420 nm range is not the most pleasing to the eye as it on the outer edge of the eyes sensetivity range and will always look much dimmer to the naked eye that it actualy is.

gibbus123 is offline   Reply With Quote