Thread: CO2 Magic!
View Single Post
Unread 02/20/2006, 09:11 PM   #19
Samala
Registered Member

I think for three weeks its amazing growth. If you look back at the other entries I've never had so much growth before, not even the 10gallon really did this.

Mmmmm.. it has effected the pH, but in a positive way. I just am not getting the massive swings through the photoperiod now, which actually perplexes me. The pH was as high as 8.8 on the last week prior to starting the CO2 'misting' into the tank. That was with two powerheads causing major surface chop and a backup skimmer going in there (with its arguable contributions to aerating the water).

With the misting the pH stays pretty steady, dark is about 8.0 and during peak light its about 8.2 now (maybe the CO2 rate is dying down, its is DIY..), as does the carbonate levels, and doesnt bounce from 8.8 to 8.0 through the photoperiod (my poor tank inhabitants!!) Whats weird is that the pH should go down more at night I'd think while the plants arent actively consuming the extra CO2.. but perhaps with the aeration in there it just doesnt go that far. Or.. I'm just not pumping in a whole lot of CO2 and its enough to keep the pH from skyrocketing during the day. Or.. another option I havent considered. I'm really not sure. How much is getting to the plants before being blown off by water movement is anyone's guess but its something since the plants have responded so well.

Bottom line is I need to continue with this, fine tune it, see how things play out before making it a recommendation. I was thinking of using it on an all macro satellite tank to see if it helps macro grow faster too. We'll see.

AIM ~ I'm posting all that info you've so thoughtfully requested in the weblog update in a few days. Great idea to ask me so I could add that in.

>Sarah