View Single Post
Unread 10/19/2017, 05:19 PM   #7
rockhead51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtropic View Post
My sand bed is only about 1/2"...I looked them up and it looks like they recommend 2-3"? How much are you using? I would be ok with adding a little more (maybe another 1/2") but really like the minimal bed and the easier cleaning that goes with it. What sort of activity/behavior does the orchid dotty have?
I probably average about 1.5, but they excavate under rocks and make little "drifts" (they also drag small rocks and shells into their cave to shore up the sides/ reinforce openings).
The Orchid Dotyback is pretty active. Move some rocks around, add a new fish, any big changes and he gets a little skittish and will hang out in a crevice for a day or two (which I've heard is normal for psuedochromis- I had a Royal Gramma who never came out at all), but he is normally very active. He was last in and my cherub angel tried to pick on him a bit: he gave as good as he got, and they are buds now. He hangs at the middle to lower part of the tank.
They are a bit on the pricey side because their numbers are dwindling in the wild, so most in the aquarium trade are captive bred. Mine is ORA certified and cost $70.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote