View Single Post
Unread 04/27/2018, 02:58 PM   #344
Gyr
Registered Member

I have used wet skim water changes for years. I feel it is a superior way to do water changes, removing more nasties/gallon than just siphoning. It's easy to do, also. Here is my technique:
I usually mix up 12-15 gallons of fresh saltwater (same Specific Gravity as tank water), unplug my pump from my RODI ATO reservoir and plug a pump that's in the fresh saltwater supply into the ATO switch system. The fresh SW pump then feeds into the last chamber of the sump via tubing that is secured above the level of water in the sump so you don't get any backwash siphoning happening. Then I just run the tubing from the drain in the cup of my skimmer into a 5 gallon bucket and adjust the skimmer until i get a steady drip/thin trickle running out of the skimmer into the 5 gallon bucket. As the water level in the tank drops from the wet skimming, the ATO switch activates and kicks on the pump in the fresh saltwater reservoir until the skimmed off volume is replaced. It takes about 2.5-3 hours to fill the 5 gallon bucket, which I just dump down the toilet when it gets full. This just keeps happening until the fresh SW has all been added to the tank and then I unhook everything, turn the skimmer back down to normal rate, plug the ATO RODI pump back into the ATO switch and I am good to go until the next water change.
This process usually takes about 8 hours, so I only do it when I'm able to be home all day. (I've done it for so many years that I now feel comfortable leaving the house for a few hours at a time, I just empty the 5 gal collection bucket right before I go).

Current Tank Info: 125 gal SPS dominant DT with heavy bioload, 6 bulb ATI fixture. 15 gal sump, no refugium. SWC 180 cone skimmer.
Gyr is offline   Reply With Quote