View Single Post
Unread 11/10/2017, 02:21 PM   #7
Fiver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
I think you're just seeing different motivating factors and/or different styles of hobby enjoyment.

Some people like learning and deciding on their own. Other people are much more socially driven, and regardless of their own knowledge or passion, they get the most enjoyment by involving other people in the process.

Also, I think that when you've been in the hobby for a very long time, it's easy to forget how vast and overwhelming it can be for newbies. When you're just starting out, it might just be the case that you know you want a marine tank but you don't yet have a good grasp on all the specific livestock that's available or possible. Asking people for ideas is a great way to figure out what's possible.

To each their own I guess.
I agree completely with this post. I tend to have a strong sense of what I want before I begin any project, but I completely understand why it's fun for others to throw out a question like that.

Involving others and starting such an open-ended conversation helps feed/maintain interest in the hobby. We all have our favorites, our old/former favorites and we all want more fish/corals/inverts than we have space for, so we all have a good answer for the "which fish" question. It's just fun.

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote