View Single Post
Unread 09/06/2015, 04:35 AM   #65
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxt View Post
Great thread! I'll be visiting The Keys in January and have been looking into places to snorkel. My brother and I have both started reef tanks since the last time we were there (probably 10+ years ago). We have enjoyed snorkeling in the past but we are really excited to get back in the water now that we will actually know what we are looking at. I'm going to re-read the thread and take notes for our trip. Thanks for the tips, guys!
January is a good time as the weather is almost always good. Although, as a long time Florida resident now, I find the water to be more than just chilly in Dec thru March. But for New Jersey guys, you'll probably find it just refreshingly cool. Ha ha!

Ask questions if you want more info about anything.

Are you looking to see the big reefs by charter boat or shallow reefs off the beach? And there are shallow reefs with great things to see and there are shallow snorkel locations where it isn't so much what you see as it is what you can find to play with (the Horseshoe on Spanish Harbor Key). And I can't recommend stronly enough, if you want a good place to see things while doing an 'off the beach' snorkel, Bahia Honda State Park. And renting a Kayak to get out 1/4 mile off shore to Little Bahia Honda Key to snorkel can be very worth the effort.