View Single Post
Unread 05/21/2010, 09:40 AM   #10
down and outman
Registered Member

I pulled the DI canister out last night to check the TDS of the RO by itself. Result is 7 TDS. Now I need to do it again, collect a sample, cap it off similar to getting a Dissolved Oxygen sample, and run to my water plant lab and check the ph and alkalinity. I ran an alk with my test kit and it showed Zero, but I might get a better reading titrating it at my lab.
I played with the CO2 calculator with various ph and alk levels. A little here or there makes a big difference. Most were at 50% to 90%. Not a good thing.

Then I get to engineer something to run overnight. Since I'm on a well, I do it at night when nobody is using water, to keep the pressure up.

My problem with some of the things I'm coming up with is I'm rather impatient. I have an auto shutoff for the RODI which works good when I make it at night.

I currently set the RODI in the laundry room next to the washing machine. A line runs to the garage right next to it with an elevated holding tank with 2 valves on it. One valve feeds the saltwater makeup tank, and the other for drawing off topoff water. The RODI has an auto shutoff on it which is great for making water at night. If it floods, it's in the garage keeping me out of trouble.

I could run the RO to can with the auto shutoff. Degass it. and pump it thru the DI to my holding tank. I just need to be able to shut the pump off when it's done. An auto top off maybe? My wheels are turning. Or set up a tank high up on the wall and let gravity run it thru the DI canister. Hey, no pump! I like that idea.

I have 3' of room above the storage tank. Would that give me enough head pressure for a DI canister? I'll have to experiment with it and see.

Current Tank Info: 90Gal AGA, 25 g sump, Mag 7, Koralia 4's
down and outman is offline   Reply With Quote