View Single Post
Unread 09/04/2017, 05:09 PM   #338
jrhupp
Registered Member

I have some updates!

First, I have been plugging away on refining and adding features to my main controller, and I am close to sharing the source code and files. I have not implemented the RTC yet. So far, all time keeping relies on NTP with no link to the RTC. Once that is resolved I will post it up.

One of the recent feature adds was an array of leak sensors tied directly to the control. They are not fancy, just 5 VDC on one side and then monitoring the other side for a completed circuit. But they get the trick done. If you want the Eagle file for them it is here: Leak sensor board

Leak sensors:

When the leak sensors are tripped, they trigger an audible alarm (piezo) and fire an email alert. The alarm remains on the whole time the sensor shows a leak state, but the email is on a timer. So, no spam; one alert per half hour period. I also have the email alerts tied to temperature limits, and have plans to tie them pH and water levels. But those are not implemented yet.

Towards that end though, I built a module to monitor pH. I am using a Milwaukee Instruments probe with it (you can see it in the sump pic down a bit in this post) and am quite pleased with the performance thus far. My longer term plan is to build a number of “sensor” modules along these lines; I am think EC and flow as two useful ones. Anyway, here is the built-up module on scrap of DIN rail:

Here is the topside to the board. I know, not much to it.

Bottom side showing the amp circuit and the voltage inverter:

If you want to make one, you can find all the files below:
SketchUp model
Eagle files
Arduino sketch

Earlier in the year I had a temperature sensor fail. I built a second set off the same design (hoping it was a manufacturing defect as opposed to a design flaw) and have been watching them closely since. I am not entirely certain what exactly the failure was, and the second round is still going strong. But I have observed on the originals and the second version, degradation of the epoxy I used to pot the sensors. I have also observed that the stainless-steel bodies have held up well below water, but the parts that have been exposed to air have corroded. Not bad, but they are ugly. So, I figured a redesign was in order. The new version uses a glass sensor body and is potted in silicone. Both materials proven to hold up well in the aquarium and I can see how good the potting is when building the sensors. I also scored some much higher quality cable to use on these!

Here is a version two temperature sensor:

Some other changes are a redesigned sump layout. I loved the rubble box, but access to where the filter socks were, was killing me. So, it had to go. I have also had some issue with microbubbles in the display since the original setup, which has been motivation enough to redo the sump. But until recently I had been uninspired as to resolve the issue. No more though.

Here is the new sump:

I also took a little time and cleaned up a few things on my control panel. The big change was a disconnect on my DC supply.

Here is the new layout:

For future activities that are hopefully soon to come:
- My ATO module is visible in the control panel layout and I have posted some details on it before. It’s at the point where I am ready to actually install and finish testing it, but have not had a long enough stretch at home to feel comfortable doing this. But I think in September I should be good to go for testing.
- I’m also looking at some EC sensor designs. I’m not stoked to shell out for an off the shelf sensor and most of the DIY sensors I see on the net are less than exciting. So, I am looking at a non-contact inductive design. We shall see how far and if I make it anywhere with that.
- I have a 24 VAC power supply design together and parts laying on my work bench to put together a new power supply for my top off valves. It’s all stuff I had laying around and a board I quickly printed up. But I am excited none the less.

I ate a jellyfish... tasted like soy sauce.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon system in progress
jrhupp is offline   Reply With Quote