View Single Post
Unread 11/01/2011, 08:20 AM   #22
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
It's funny how practically no one complained about Tunze's flow rates before that study (funded by Ecotech, by the way..) came out. Don't get me wrong; I do like Vortechs, and have owned a number of them over the past few years. I would buy one again. They're good products. However, that study has been blown out of proportion, IMO....

To the OP, I've had 2x MP10s on the back wall of a similar sized tank (45 gallon cube.. 24x24x18 height) and the flow was tough to dial in correctly. In order to get sufficient flow in the middle of the tank, you'd have to turn the pumps up pretty high, which would make the sides have very high flow rates. You could put one on each side of the tank, but I really didn't like how that looked on a relatively narrow cube (24inches wide). If your overflow is in the corner, that's a different story.

All in all, both companies provide good flow, and you won't go wrong either way.
Do you know how sick scientists are of hearing "where does the money come from?" A good scientist, which Sanjay is, does good science, period. The fact is that there is good data to support that the vortech mp10 puts out A LOT more flow than advertised and the Tunze's put out less flow than advertised, no more no less. Tunze has even copped to it and plans on changing their advertising. Another sign of them being a good company. Like you said though, both are high quality pumps.

Advice to new hobbyists: listen to people that have a tank you would like to have one day, not to those with a high post count.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon in-wall (build thread is my homepage).
frankpayne32 is offline   Reply With Quote