View Single Post
Unread 05/21/2016, 04:50 PM   #3644
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeDejavu View Post
I plan on starting my 3 day blackout this weekend, but I have a few questions before I do so:

-Should I do a water change first, vacuuming out as much as I can and then doing the blackout? Or will this be counterproductive?
Yes, yes. actual export of dinos somehow is pretty important. siphoning as much as possible means you have fewer toxins and a less dramatic swing as the dinos fade.

Quote:
-Do I blackout the sides and the top or just the sides? I can leave the back chamber of my BioCube open for oxygen exchange if need be.
assume whatever level of light helps your coral also helps dinos, so if you're going to black out, then black out.

Quote:
Starting last night, I am dosing 5mL of Microbacter7 every day for the next 2 weeks. The plan is to only run actinics on the first day back, with 1 hour of regular light added back each additional day there after.

Does this sound like a good plan? Am I missing anything?
What do you intend to replace the dino growth with? leaving your system a biodiversity desert will probably not last very long. I don't know that people have had good results with just bacterial replacement.
Those would be my concerns.

edit:
Just read your later post with the phyto, pods info. that is a replacement some poeple have had success with. Good luck.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote