View Single Post
Unread 11/07/2018, 03:02 PM   #2
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfishin View Post
I have had a semi-reef tank for about 15 years. Not a lot of corals, but enough to add some visual appeal to my tank. In an effort to save a bit on time and money, I sold the corals I had and I am now converting to a FOWLR. My tank is 220 gallons, I would like to keep perhaps a lionfish, miniatus grouper, and perhaps either an eel or another fish or two. Not a lot of fish, but the fish I will have will still create a fair amount of bio-load. Currently I have the same euro-reef skimmer that I started out with, but feel that I may need a more efficient skimmer due to the heavier bio load and I am guessing technology may have improved in the past 15 years. What would be some good suggestions for a new 'in sump' skimmer for this setup? Would like to keep below $500, but that is not set in stone. I think I have about 23-24" in height room and footprint room is about 18X18 or so. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

There is nothing wrong with a Euro-reef skimmer if it works and is properly sized. It is a needle wheel skimmer and would keep up with most skimmers today.

If you want a new skimmer you may want to look at Aquamaxx skimmers they use a nice Sicce pumps and are reasonably priced. Made a little cheap but they perform pretty well...

Some or the ReeF octopus skimmers are pretty nice too.

Staying under 500.00 for a tank that size with the load those fish will add might be tough.