View Single Post
Unread 10/14/2015, 09:46 PM   #41
Wally.B
Registered Member

More Evidence to support "Too Strong Lighting Changes"

So after Acan Recovering, and posting last post it got me thinking to check my LIGHTING history. (Since Chemistry the same in TANK AND SUMP).

Good thing I print off my Lighting Programs from my Apex and hang on wall (since when you make a change, you lose the previous programmings)

When I look at the changes, it's pretty clear what I did.

1) I had to Zoa introduction Problem (Bad Lighting Acclimatization, but had wrong clues at that point)

2) After some playing, and failures, I move Zoa's out into Sump tray, but gain confidence to increase lightings (A)
-----> I turned OFF my Non Dimmable T5, to have better control over Kessil results.

3) Then a week later, with other corals doing better, I increased Photo Period on the Kessil (B)
-----> At this point, I started Burning the Acans
-----> Both the Damaged Zoa's and Acan's were being cleaned up/damaged by Amphipods. (They left healthy Corals Alone, which is normal)

4) Added the Hawkfish for Amphipod Control (no harm , Amphipods could be part of the Zoa, Acan problem, when weak)

5) So the key observation is my lighting changes were 3 factors
--------> i) Too quick Ramp up on both Kessil (Intensity)
--------> ii) Added Photo Period to Kessil, but remove some T5's
--------> ii) But another KEY factor was a short kessil Intensity spike (1hour at 60%) which wasn't long, but gave the Acans a short before bedtime burn .
-------------------> THIS Short Burn put the Zoa's and Acans into recoil, allowing Amphipods to damage at night
-------------------> They recovered a bit each day, when Aphipods were gone, and light back to lower levels
-------------------> But each day got weaker and weaker over time.
So at least I now have a plan to restore corals health, and do a proper introduction on Lighting (at point (C) right now) .

No Harm having less Amphipod, since they are the extra Damage Crew.

The hope is that with slow Aclimatization, the other Zoa's should do just a well as my Utter Chaos Zoa.
( Zoa which was expensive so I really acclimatzed very slowly, [not by lighting changes, but by placement]).

** NEW APPROACH with be combined: **
-------> Low Placement, Shaded. Then gradually move into permanent locations.
-------> Slowly Find Light Intensity Limits (kessil, T5's)
-------> Then stretch out a increase on PhotoPeriod

There is a good chance if healthy the other Zoa's won't be attacked by any remaining Amphipods. (will be less with Hawkfish anyway)

Another lesson learned in this wonderful challenging hobby.

(All common sense stuff, but easy to get sidetracked with incorrect assumptions, or double causes.)

At least I hope I got it figured out.

Last edited by Wally.B; 09/06/2017 at 07:56 AM.
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote