View Single Post
Unread 11/02/2014, 11:04 PM   #378
ichthyogeek
Registered Member

Finally finished reading this!! So, even though I'm still in the planning stage of breeding, I have a few ideas that I'm wondering might work.
1) automated feeding: could I position 4 running cultures of larval food (for example: rotifers) at different locations in a rearing tub, and have them drip during the daytime, providing a constant source of food for the larva? Specifically, if I were to take 4 5-gallon jug rotifer cultures, and attach a spigot to each culture, and drip the food in, topping off with rotifer food (live nanno/iso), would the rotifers be able to keep a viable population, while feeding the tank?
2) Adding in live food to the tank: what about adding adult calanoids, whose nauplii are suitable food organisms for the larva? For example: a mix of Parvocalanus crassirostris, Pseudodiaptomus serricauldatus and Tangerine Reef Pods, whose nauplii are 40-100, 65-70, and 100-200 micrometers in size, and with adult sizes of 200-300, 700-850, and 2000-2500 microns respectively (as per fusedjaw.com's table) in the larval tank, with adults feeding on microalgae and nauplii, and the larva/fry feeding on the copepod nauplii and adults as they grow, until they transition to non-live foods, speaking of which:
3) Freezing excess copepods: Freezing excess copepods, and introducing the dead copepods to the larva/fry to help transition them to dead food.
Finally, why tetraselmis and isochrysis for copepods, and nannochloropsis and isochrysis for rotifers?

ichthyogeek is offline   Reply With Quote