View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2016, 09:47 AM   #2641
dirtrider225
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csammis View Post
Your first post in this thread doesn't have any link to a picture. You might have accidentally edited it out? Try posting it again. Photobucket should be fine. If you can't get it to show up inline just post a link to the picture on Photobucket.
Ive read through nearly this entire thread. I currently have Dinos but they arent nearly to the porportions you guys have had them. Mine will take 4 or 5 days to really get annoying to coral and its mostly the frags. I have SPS that are still alive and growing (albiet slow) i have 2 RBTA and 2 RFAs a rabbitfish, starry blenny, urchin, 2 clowns, and 2 shrimp gobies. My CUC isnt dying and i havent had a snail die off like others have mentioned. I do believe i lost a kole tang to this stuff before i knew it was dinos but at the same time there is no way for me to know as it was pretty new to the tank.

Tank info, Red sea reefer 250 (65 gallon system). Used about 15ish lbs of "live" rock from a tank i had set up and running for 6 months. also added about 25 lbs of dry pukani rock a month after setup of the tank. The tank has only been running since october, used carribsea argonite sand. I run rox.8 carbon and use a vertex omega 150 skimmer (way oversized.)

Im not certain but im pretty sure ive had a slight amount of this stuff since end of november, and it took off after i removed a large amount of bryopsis turf algea and peroxide scrubbed a large chunk of the rock.

So far ive tried a ~3 day somewhat blackout.. not total, i didnt cover the tank or anything and i had the lights on for ~45 minutes each night so i could feed the fish and the anemones. (nems werent happy about no light) i dosed 7ml peroxide morning and night during this time and a couple days after. I went 2 weeks without seeing dinos after doing this.

Then my skimmer went offline because i mounted frags with epoxy (took 1.5 weeks and 20 gallons of new water and its JUST starting to work again) and i noticed them starting to return. My corals and nems i dont think will last another 3 day blackout and since it didnt solve the problem im not sure i want to try it again anyways.

These pictures are when it was at its worst. It doesnt get that bad anymore, but that is what it looks like when i let it go

it kind of looks like a type of cyano, except in the morning its nearly all gone and by noon its back again. The more i let it go the stringier it gets, but it also grows on the glass and fragrack. I am trying to get access to a microscope to identify. What are your guys's thoughts?

dirtrider225 is offline   Reply With Quote