View Single Post
Unread 10/23/2007, 12:30 AM   #11
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

To add a little to what maximus said......

I ship often and am one of the few individuals who will guarantee live arrival. Since Ive gotten confident in my shipping practices and offered this guarantee I have not had any casualties.................of course fed-ex can take partial responsibility in that success by never dropping the ball as well.

Overnight shipping only and I buy these nice coolers from U-line that are $5-10 apiece after shipping to me and have nice thick walls. 1.25-1.5" thick. These thick walls give you the control you need to deal with any shipping circumstances. I can confidently ship in extreme heat or cold. Key is wrapping you rhot or cold pack up accordingly........if you just need a touch of hot or cold wrap the heck out of it in newspapper....so very little heat or cold will actually be added, nor will it get the bags close to it too hot or cold, and you rely on these thick walled coolers to keep the temp where you want it.

Also wrap all the bags inside a black plastic bag. No light whatsoever makes the corals not try to respirate. Very little water or air in the bag is needs so you save on space and weight and can use the smallest cooler possible.

Out of curiosity I had one guy measure the water temp for me in LA on arrival when it was 115 degrees out and I shipped anyway. Water was 81 degrees........more or less the same temp I keep my tanks at. I was pleased with that

Bottom line dont scrimp on the shipping in materials or mess with multiple day shipping and you will greatly increase your odds of success. I knoiw a lot of people use them, bu t those makeshift coolers you buy that have seperate styrofoam walls absolutely SUCK. with air leakage like that out the walls you lose all control of what the temp inside will actually be. Ricordia and zoas of course cna handle a lot more swing than sps, but regardless......those boxes suck. did I already say that??

Last edited by flyyyguy; 10/23/2007 at 12:36 AM.
flyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote