View Single Post
Unread 08/26/2017, 08:40 AM   #4411
Dono
Registered Member

Posted this in the wrong forum, so I'm going to copy/paste it over here.

Hey everyone! I need some input on my 60 cube mixed reef.

I think I have a possible aggressive infestation of Dinos. I've had my current setup now for appx four months, and I know what you're thinking (because I thought it too) -- "your tank is cycling... calm down and take it easy young reefer", but this was a transferred tank from a previous build. After moving everything to the new tank a few months ago, I saw a cycle and that came and passed and everything was good up until about a week and a half ago when I thought I was getting a DIATOM bloom.

Stringy brown "algae" coating rocks, sand, glass... everything. Until I saw my pH drop to 7.4~ and the telltale bubbles clinging to the "algae". Edit: When I blow off the "algae" it "grows" back within and hour or less.

Now here's what I need:

1.) Am I crazy for thinking/confirming that these are Dinos and not a diatom bloom from my tank cycling out silicates?

2.) If it is Dinos, what're my courses of action?

-Raise pH with buffer/kalk?
-Hydrogen Peroxide Dosing? (I have stony corals and a full CUC, so this worries me)

RC, I've already lost one nice acro colony, and algae blenny, & and one of my Onyx clowns. Please bestow me some wisdom.

For reference, I'm using Red Sea reef salt, I do 5gal water changes every 2-3 days (and have since about the third or fourth week the tank was running), and here are the current water params:

Salt: 1.025
pH: 7.4*****
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Undetectable
PO4: Undetectable

Thanks,

Ed

Dono is offline   Reply With Quote