View Single Post
Unread 03/10/2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Allmost
Moved On

Food grade containers, and RO/DI water

Hello all,
so I have been obsessed with finding the best plastic container for holding RO/DI water, as well as mixing new salt water in.

got myself a Brute Rubbermaid, food grade. and ran multiple tests on it :

I first filled it up with RO/DI water, TDS zero, PO4 zero (Hanna checker)

let it sit with a power head for 3 hours, measured the po4 again, and it was up to 0.1 PPM !!! po4 leaching out of food grade container?

I then added salt and mixed it to SG of 35 PPT. measured the PO4 3 hours later, and it is still at 0.1 PPM !!!!!

puzzled by this, I did more research to find out that RO/DI water, and Ultrapure water are very aggressive due to lack of elements and traces, so they attack the plastic, and WILL make it leach ... (only lab grade plastic is safe ? ) [does this make sense to the chemists here ? ]

I was also told that, if I placed some clean aragonite at the bottom of the brute container , the RO/DI water will attack that instead, pulling out CA++, MG++, and carbonates, and would not make the plastic leach out po4 [does this make sense to the chemists here ? worth a try ? ]

I then made a salt water mix in a glass tank, po4 was zero. transfered that to the Brute can ... tested 3 hours later and I got reading of 0.01 PPM ! for po4. so I guess it is the RO/DI water attacking the plastic ?

so putting all these together, I started thinking I should add like quarter of a cup of salt into the empty and clean container, and then make RO/DI water in the container, this way, it will dissolve the salt instead of the plastic ? and I can add more salt once the bucket is full to bring up to the needed SG. ? would this make sense ? would it cause precipitation ?

I know a bit of po4 is nothing ... but I am running a low nutrition system and want to eliminate all extras from the source water at least. would what I said above help ? or am I better of making a tall Acrylic tank for mixing Salt water and Top off ?

thank you all.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote