View Single Post
Unread 03/29/2004, 11:53 AM   #17
endymion
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ErikS
How do you figure? The air will enter through the mesh above the waterline. Without air the water won't flow - period. You doubt me? Plug the vent behind your toliet & flush - be ready to run.

I'm guessing it's silent because you've dialed the pump way back.

The overflow is getting air into it....its open. You are not talking about a closed box. Take a milk jug fill it up and turn it upside to drain. Air gets sucked in to drain. Now cut the bottom off a milk jug, fill it up upside down, and let it drain....where is that other hole that is needed? It’s the cut off top. No air is being sucked through the drain till it gets close to the bottom. So now which one does and overflow most resemble?

Back to the thread….

I like it and it is pretty simple. Now the cool think would be to set it up with just one pipe with a 100% plastic/pvc valve, in the overflow, and an extra tee and elbow below the valve, with a riser up above. A problem is with space on smaller internal overflows etc.

Restricting the drain line to tune a stand pipe is not new. Adding a safety overflow is the new part that I have not seen.

endymion is offline   Reply With Quote