Thread: RO/DI unit
View Single Post
Unread 07/10/2012, 02:56 PM   #7
jerpa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
lol jerpa, thanks, but how are the home depot stuff different ? do you know ?

that is the info I am looking for. why is the RO/DI from HD different from the one from BRS lets say. if they both produce the same end product.
Well a low quality sediment filter will allow your low quality carbon block to be exhausted/clogged more quickly. This, and the quality of the carbon block, can impact the RO membrane life if certain chemicals are allowed to make it that far. A low quality RO membrane will have a lower rejection rate exhausting your DI faster. It may also produce more waste per gallon of RO than it should. It could make more than a high rejection membrane because more "dirty" water makes it through. The end result will still be 0 TDS, assuming you maintain the system, but your costs over time will be significantly higher.

To determine the quality of the filters you have to look at the ratings. Not all ratings are equal however. Some rate the actual particle size it filters down to while others use a nominal system that means It filters about 85% of particles that size. With carbon filters you also need to be concerned with chlorine capacity in addition to the pore rating. RO membrane life is greatly impacted by the substances that get to it, chlorine being one of the major concerns. There are several materials that RO membranes are made of and I forget all the differences off the top of my head but this impacts the life of the membrane as well. The rejection rate of the membrane will have a large impact on the DI consumption and most would consider 95+% to be a quality membrane.

Current Tank Info: 40b basement sump, 40b refugium, 30g frag

Last edited by jerpa; 07/10/2012 at 03:01 PM.
jerpa is offline   Reply With Quote