View Single Post
Unread 01/11/2016, 01:42 PM   #88
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz View Post
thanks slief, for all the help so far.

In my previous video pump at 30w and pipe closed to the 4line mark, the foam was dense and 'heavy/frothy' in the neck originally before stopping.

If I drop power to 28w the wedge pipe must be closed around 65-70% (~7.5 lines from open) to get the foam in the correct height....but it looks more 'airy' and 'fine' not 'thick' and 'frothy' if that makes any sense???? is that ok?

i was advised on another forum to increase pump power if I have low organic loads, the direct opposite of what your saying..

should I run at 28w with the wedge closed 65-70%??
I am not a fan of closing the wedge pipe that much because as I have said before, you might encounter surging. Thus my suggestion for raising your water level. In the event that you can't raise your water level, then your only option is to increase the pump speed. Regarding lowering the speed vs increasing it, lowering it increases contact time which can increase DOC export but there is a point of diminishing returns. In your case, its going to take some experimenting to figure out what settings work best. Higher pump speed vs lower pump speed and increased sump depth. You can obviously experiment by lowering the pump speed to 26 watt, closing the wedge to 65-70% and see how it performs. Then compare that to your 34 watt performance. The skimmate production and quality will be your best method of judging the performance for your lower load. That said, running it at a higher power certainly won't hurt anything and I am sure it will work OK. You just may find that the skimmate is lighter colored than it may be at a lower pump setting if you are able to raise the level inside the skimmer enough.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote