View Single Post
Unread 11/14/2017, 08:20 AM   #2200
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
And to follow-up a bit what D2Mini said above, the Triton method does work. In fact another good read would be to search for GlennF's 1500 liter mixed reef (I think that is it). It is pretty lengthy and informative.

There are many ways to skin the cat (figure of speech, please don't call PETA ). Just remember it is a hobby and some people like to keep it simple, some complex, and some middle of the road. I've always been of the mindset with D2's threads that he pays a lot of attention to detail, likes to automate, but more importantly, pays attention to the pulse of his tank and lets that guide his next step. In the end it falls back to the Berlin system with gadgets to support his inner-technology-reef-geekiness In all seriousness I think the Berlin or similar systems do well but it doesn't mean there are not other ways. Heck, people run long term successful tanks without skimmers
Thank you, very well put. And any "gadgets" are just to help automate things or for the health of the tank. Never for the sake of just having gadgets.
For instance the CaRx adds more than just Alk and Calc, compared to two-part dosing. So the reactor is being used in place of a doser. The only additional piece of equipment is I'm now using the doser to perform my daily automatic water changes.

I've been asked this question A LOT this year, and I have absolutely nothing against Triton or their "method", and I still use their ICP tests. In fact I completely agree with the whole basis of the Triton Method which is using a refugium for natural filtration along with a skimmer and replicating NSW as closely as possible. That's what attracted me to it in the first place, not so much the water change thing. So the only real difference between what I'm doing now vs Triton is that I'm using the reactor instead of dosing their elements, and nothing is being dosed to feed the macro algae.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote