View Single Post
Unread 02/07/2005, 09:30 PM   #6
sidewinder770
Registered Member

sfsuphysics- I suppose to a point most steel stand look very similar. This was just welded together a few days ago so it was probably just someone elses that looks similar.

Bamm Bamm- Thanks and wait a few days- the stand will look a lot better once it is powdercoated . the steel is 1.5 x. 1.5 steel tube .090, thick the main support beams are 1.5 x 3 and .120 thick.

Julio- we decided on a steel canopy for several resons- One of the main reason is that doing it in wood I would have had to have a support on the front outside edges of the tank to support the canopy or have the canopy rest on the top of the tank- I didn't like either of these options. I also didn't want to think about painting the canopy or the weight of it- steel is much lighter, smaller and easier to design around. You can't really tell from the pictures but the front lower brace and the midle vertical brace are removable- this will give me the whole 96x20 area to access the top of the tank. It will also allow me to lay on the front brace when it is in place without putting wieght on the tank. I'll have some pics when it's done and you'll probably get a better idea of what I'm talking about. I can't wait!

Thanks everyone for the comments, questions and ideas. I welcome any and all questions and ideas as this is a project that will probably go thru many changes as it progresses (tends to happen no matter how much you plan). I just hope it will be done right the first time..

sidewinder770 is offline   Reply With Quote