View Single Post
Unread 11/13/2005, 09:53 PM   #7
TippyToeX
Premium Member

Acanthastrea lordhowensis

My abslout favorite method of fragging these are just as Anthony suggested, bone shears! Nice even cuts, the skeleton and turn into rubble or snap evenly it really doesn’t matter. The more you do it the better your cuts become. It’s simple because you have nice control over each division and can frag off individual polyps with no problem this way. You can do the delicate work of cutting a polyp. Anthony had a great demo in this article: Good Lordhowensis
Along with the shears, a razor and dremel is shown.

You can make a bloody mess of this coral and I tell you it will bounce back in a matter of days (water quality allowing). The first time I ever used a dremel with a diamond wheel attachment was on this coral. To say I underestimated the power of this little tool is a laugh. I pretty much buzz sawed the whole mother colony into something out of a horror movie. I ended up with a frag that looked like this:

Four days later (no joke!)

One month later

Also I say it with all sincerity; you could take this coral out of the tank and toss it on the floor. Step on it with a pair of cleated shoes and sweep up the bits. Toss them about the bottom of the tank and in a few days you will have tons of little polyps all over.

You don’t have to attach them to a thing either. Just let them tumble about on the sand bed. Or if you run bare bottom they would be too sweet to allow to encrust along the bottom. You can also do the trick I mentioned above and dremel out a dip on a flat piece of rock. Rest them in that little hole so they can encrust evenly.

Just for reference:

Pics above taken from: Here