View Single Post
Unread 02/13/2018, 01:04 PM   #3279
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks JZ for explaining. That cleared it up for me. That's a good idea. But…

I think I want to say that it represents a seagrass lagoon ecosystem without saying where. Sure, a lot will have come from the Caribbean, but I'll feel freer to choose creatures based on their merit as part of the ecosystem, without worrying about biotope correctness. I think that warrants starting a new thread.

Yes, I have a lovely, white sea cucumber, named Seymour. He and the fighting conch, Mom, take good care of the sand bed surface. And they do it WITHOUT consuming beneficial worms and pods, like sand-sifting gobies and sea stars do. I agree, cucumbers are great detritus consumers, breaking it down further, in their niche of the food web. Eventually, it becomes plant food. The plants grow and old leaves drop to become detritus again. The sand bed community is basically a recycling center for aquariums!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote