View Single Post
Unread 11/25/2007, 10:19 AM   #80
bubbletip2
Premium Member

Re: 29" tall tank

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Patterso
Hahn or anybody else that might be able to answer this question.
Setting up a 140 gal. It's 29" tall. Have been running 400 watt. Aquaconnect bulbs but man they make alot of heat. So was thinking about going to 250 watt Aquaconnect or Radium 20k bulbs. The tank is 99.99% acro/sps so I'm wondering if the 250's will put enough light to the bottom of the tank. Your opinion or opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Hey Robert.

I have been using two 400w 12K Reeflux bulbs over my 156g and have not had any problems with heat especially since I switched to LumenBright reflectors. Just to point out, I have tested PAR readings between 200-400 on the bottom of a 30" deep tank with these reflectors whch is enough to grow most SPS on the bottom if you wish. My tank stays between 78.5 and 79.5 through out the day and sometimes only fluctuates within a half degree. I do not run a chiller. I use fans for evaporative cooling. Since I got my LumenBrights and was able to raise the bulbs 16" off the water, my fans don't come on until 1.5 hours to 2 hours after the lights come on. I have 4 fans and my other 2 have not run at all and my 400watters are on for 8-10 hours now depending if I am acclimating a new coral or not. With my old LumenArcs the fans would come on after 5-15 minutes because the bulbs had to be much lower.

Not sure if it is possible for you to raise your lights. How high off the water are your bulbs? What reflectors do you use? What ballast are you using? And like Hahn said, how many bulbs do you have?

Jim

Current Tank Info: 156G Oceanic SPS Dominant Reef System(L60.5 x W24.5 x H25) - 30g Cube plmbed into DT - 1 LG LB Pndt. - 250w EVC 14K(EVC Ballast) - Panworld(790gph feed)
bubbletip2 is offline   Reply With Quote