View Single Post
Unread 08/27/2012, 06:13 PM   #44
Mxx
Registered Member

What the!? So it is actually quite a common a practice to proactively treat incoming fish without any signs of disease with copper treatments which tend to nevertheless be a bit harsh on them? I had tried to find out about whether I should be doing so before, but couldn't find out anything about it, so that is news to me! I'm in.

Is it just copper that should be treated with, or is there any second remedy as well that would provide a good supplementary treatment for any other common types of maladies?

I think I will set up a quarantine tank, but perhaps not permanently. I suppose I will keep a big mesh bag of extra floss in one of the rear compartments of my DT, and then rotate that out to a canister filter stuck on the quarantine tank whenever I need to use the QT.

I would like to do something for denitrification as well though. Could I use a bag of denitrifying carbon pellets which I'd (permanently) remove from my DT in order to do so, and can I use denitrifying pellets if I'm not using a skimmer on the QT? Or would I be better off trying to section off part of the QT which I'd use for nutrient export via chaeto by adding a sump light? I guess that I could add an auto feeder to do ghost-feedings in the absence of any fish to keep it low maintenance.

I might even wish to keep a QT as a seagrass tank though, and the seagrass would at least help detoxify nitrogen compounds, though any invert algae eaters might not fare quite as well with copper treatment. Perhaps an Algae Blenny nevertheless might. And some Neon Gobies if they wouldn't mind copper treatments... so perhaps this might be a permanent QT after all...

Does anyone actually quarantine corals, shrimp, snails, anemones, and clams as well? Or do they just dip the corals in CoralRX before tossing them in the DT? Not sure what to do about the other inverts though...

Mxx is offline   Reply With Quote