View Single Post
Unread 06/15/2017, 11:23 PM   #69
Wally.B
Registered Member

** NO CORAL FOOD ADDITIVES **

I do have several corals foods.
Some I use in my Mixed tank (Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy, Reef Chili, AF Coral Food & AF Pure Food). The last two were specifically bought for this SPS tank.

A FEW reasons for not using Coral Foods Quite Yet (if Ever) are:

-> Current Goal for these Young Frags is to keep them Healthy and get them to grow.
-> Counting on Fish Waste to feed them along with the additives above to supplement Aminos, Vitamins, and simulants.
-> Don't want to pollute the tank at this early stage. I need a chance to observe the corals, and not have "What if" thoughts if things go bad.

I probably am starting too aggressive with the Additives, so why compound the problem with Foods.

HOW EVER THE BEST REASON IS THIS!!

Last time I over did things, few year back, the tank has a SMALL Cyano Bloom (It eventually went away)

BUT RIGHT AFTERWARD....FEW MONTHS LATER.
It looked like this. (I never recovered from that GHA Bloom. Tank was torn apart and scrubbed).
(Wasn't just the food, it was a Ligthing Design Error with too much RED LIGHTING. Figure that out that afterwards).

That Green Hair Algae Bloom, is the main reason I built a Brand New Sump with a Built-In Algae Scrubber!!

The Scrubber is actually running very nicely.
Reached a certain maturity just this last week. I no longer have to pull out and scrub the screens. Which was a bit of a Chore.
The Algae growth has gone from a thin/slimy GHA type, to a more thicker Spagetti like Macro Algae.
I just cleaned it without removing the screen. Just reached in a pulled out a clump.

Enough said.

Onward!!

Wally B.

Last edited by Wally.B; 06/15/2017 at 11:57 PM.
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote