View Single Post
Unread 11/27/2017, 09:29 PM   #16
kalare
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
If one takes a moment to consider the deplorable survival rates of fish collected for our hobby, worrying specifically about the ethics of an open top tak seems akin to the old saying about closing the barn door after the horses have already bolted.

FWIW, I do have screen tops on all of my tanks (including the trim less ones) except the frag tank. Haven't had a frag jump yet fortunately.
I don't buy this argument. Just because something is bad, does not mean that we should not continue to make an effort to improve. People that drive open jeeps for example have garbage protection and jeeps are notorious for rolling...but it is still recommended to wear a seatbelt.

Once the fish is in our care, it is our responsibility to do all we can to ensure not only their survival but their well being in general. In fact, I would say that if it is in fact true that survival rate from capture to purchase is so dismal, we should go the extra mile to ensure that the fish that do survive continue to do so.

kalare is offline   Reply With Quote