View Single Post
Unread 02/03/2008, 08:37 PM   #19
itZme
Registered Member

I designed and drilled mine with a (main) bulkhead that is low in the overflow area and one that has a standpipe on it (emergency) that extends about 8" above the main drain but still a few inches below the rim of the tank. At start up my system fills the overflows a bit over the main drain but well below the emergency drains before the siphon kicks in and then things slowly level out without the water level ever getting near the rim.

In the normal operating position my water level in the overflows is several inches over the top of the main drain and several inches below the emergency drains to allow for several weeks of not cleaning strainers or any crud buildup that may slow the main drains without having to use the emergency drains.

The noise from the water dumping into a sump can be eliminated by submerging the end into the water in the sump. Since there is NO air in the drain there will be no gurgling or back pressure put on the drains by submerging them like you would have with any drain that mixes air/water (Durso, Stockman, Hofer). There is also no salt creep from the splashing since there isn't any splashing at all.

Also worth mentioning is the use a a gate valve with its 5 or more full turns of adjustment from full-open to full-closed being much easier to get optimal siphon speed when compared to the 1/4 turn of a ball valve.

Nice drawings Bean!

-- Kevin