View Single Post
Unread 05/26/2018, 08:04 PM   #31
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz_1 View Post
I agree.
We should be able to buy just the parts needed for repair and not have to buy a whole new wet side for $75 or dry side for $200 ......
They used to just sell the magnet, however there were balance issues, much like you would have the tires on your car balanced, these wetsides have to be paired and balanced
correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangros View Post
I had a defective mp40QD which began to hum. Luckily it was under warranty and promptly replaced. However, while removing the defective power head, I inadvertently knocked my other mp40 off the glass and it crashed to the floor. Sure enough, it now hums!!! As much as I love these powerheads, I’m having a rough time trying to justify paying another 200 to replace it.

On thing I noticed in all this is that I have 1/4” glass. That means I could use either the medium or thick spacer. In hindsight, I would now recommend only using the medium one so the magnetic bond is stronger. I don’t think the thicker spacer is appropriate as it doesn’t stay up as well.
That's a toss up, when you use the thinner spacers, the magnetic couple is stronger which holds it tighter to the glass, but puts more pressure and wear on the bearings and bushings. If it were me I would choose the thicker spacer to prolong the life of the unit and utilize the mounting kit to hold the dry side on the glass.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote