View Single Post
Unread 09/06/2014, 07:25 AM   #102
JLynn
Registered Member

It would be such a treat to witness spawning behavior!

I also love researching for aquariums. I only wish we knew more about the natural processes so we could be more precise in our husbandry efforts and use them to our advantage. Progress is slow, but we've come a long way on that front, even if we still have a ways to go.

One thing I am interested in is the possibility of having a plankton refugium for nutrient export. One big problem with it is finding a way to keep the plankton in the refugium and out of the rest of the sump. A mesh screen would work well, but I would want to have nanoplankton and perhaps even picoplankton, which means I would need a mesh with holes smaller than 0.2 um! On the other hand, it would provide me with a fresh food source for nps corals, sponges, and the fish as well: the phytoplankton would grow from the light and the nutrients in the water, and they would in turn be eaten by the zooplankton who would be eaten by the larger zooplankton, and when I changed out part of the culture water, I could put the old water (and the plankton inside of it) into a doser to be fed to my corals, sponges, and fish, and the cycle would repeat. It's just an idea, at the moment, but I'll keep working on it; it would fantastic if it came to fruition!

Nice strategy for motivation. I'll have to appropriate that someday. I always spend so much time planning that I rarely get around to acting on my plans! Embarrassment would be a good motivator.

Well, your aquarium certainly will be unique. Maybe it'll even make TOTM someday!

JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote