View Single Post
Unread 11/10/2017, 01:51 PM   #6
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
But when I see someone who has a box of saltwater - and they are asking a group of strangers to create their fish list. It makes no sense to me.
I think you're just seeing different motivating factors and/or different styles of hobby enjoyment.

Some people like learning and deciding on their own. Other people are much more socially driven, and regardless of their own knowledge or passion, they get the most enjoyment by involving other people in the process.

Also, I think that when you've been in the hobby for a very long time, it's easy to forget how vast and overwhelming it can be for newbies. When you're just starting out, it might just be the case that you know you want a marine tank but you don't yet have a good grasp on all the specific livestock that's available or possible. Asking people for ideas is a great way to figure out what's possible.

To each their own I guess.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote