View Single Post
Unread 03/08/2007, 09:06 PM   #55
RokleM
Registered Member

My first acrylic project (the cube back a couple of pages) went decently well with no leaks. My second project has not.

I've attempted something quite a bit more difficult, and am having some issues. Amazingly enough, I didn't have too much difficulty actually designing and building it, but the issues came during the testing phase.

It's a chamber for rowa-phos. Below is a picture during the build.

The bottom is actually leaking. In order to create a more solid hold (which in hind sight might have done the opposite), I routed a clean 1/8" or so inch ring for the tube to sit in. I then soaked both sides of the (tube and routed ring) , inserted, and put an extra bead around the rim. It's leaking slowly at this point when I fill it with water (no pump pressure).

Sadly enough, I did this as well with the top, and fear it will leak there as well. What are my options? Do I need to scrap the project and start from scratch? It's drying now from the water testing. From past reading if I recall right, I have maybe two solutions. 1) bead a little weld-on 4 back in the recessed channel, hoping it will fill and seal. 2) use something like weld-on 40 (or 42???) if I can get it locally, and actually create a seal around the outside edge that would resemble more like a caulk/silicone seal.

Although I'm not 100%, the tube was pre-cut and looked very smooth and flat, as well my routed ring seemed to come out very well.

I guess you can't win them all. At least it didn't happen on some of the future more material intensive projects I have planned