View Single Post
Unread 10/02/2017, 04:22 PM   #192
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Mike D View Post
This and the Intelligent Design threads have really helped me and I encourage new hobbyist and those not so new but struggling with a lot of different commercial "fixes" to read these threads.

Understanding the 4 zones/cycles and how they interact should ease the stress of dealing with the affects of an unbalanced new tank. How many threads start out with something like this "I am testing little to no N&P and yet (insert algae/cyano struggles here)" followed by a dozen or more recommendations from lights out, chemical additions to removing the rock and starting over while only addressing two zones of the cycle?

Additional, the complexity of the microfauna and interaction among the reef inhabitants also makes our tanks far more interesting that the pretty colors and shapes.

Thanks to the members who have been contributing to the two threads. My healthy tank inhabitants are grateful as well, even if they don't know it.

Thank you for the kind words. Eric Borneman was quoted as saying "If someone tells you that their way is the only way to operate a reef tank, run from them. I like to steer My boat downstream without fighting the current going upstream. My only show tank is a 75G Jaubert Plenumn mixed gargen on top with a 30G mud/macro refugium on bottom. This tank has been set up for 25 years, it was moved ten years ago at this present location. Due to a red planaria infestation in the sump, I had decided to turn off lights in refugium and grow pods. Since finding this thread, I am stoked about this cryptic zone filtration and have seeded refugium with sponges. In my past mixed garden tanks, I have kept sea apples alive for 2 years and flame scallops for 18 months. Filter feeders fascinate me and I am looking forward to keeping NPS.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout

Last edited by Subsea; 10/03/2017 at 04:10 PM.
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote