View Single Post
Unread 09/12/2017, 04:03 PM   #344
jrhupp
Registered Member

First off, sorry for the slow replies (below). I have been traveling and have not had a chance/energy to get to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
I'm digging through the links on this post, but can't find it... Where's the links for the skimmer stuff?

I have a chunk of clear PVC sitting in my garage and if it's the right size, I might start printing the parts.
Here are links:
Skimmer model in SketchUp
Zip archive with properly scaled STLs for all the parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itri4ever View Post
First of all...just pure awesome, that's all I have to say. I have the pc, and actually made my own skimmer by molding different pieces in the oven before I got a 3d printer. I now want to print yours. My question is this. When I import your design into skeychup it bring it in as a roughly 6' diameter pipe and not 6". What am I too g wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks. Glad you like it, and happy to help.

All the parts are modeled 10x. SketchUp does not do well with complex geometry when parts are small; lots of holes in surfaces. Modeling at 10x (or greater) helps greatly with this. You simply need to scale the parts by 0.1 before exporting them.

Normally I rescale before posting parts, but left these large in case others wanted to modify them. I have updated the notes in the model to reflect the scaling.

I also added some notes on the length and sizing of the acrylic tube I used to build the skimmer (OD, wall thickness and lengths).

I ate a jellyfish... tasted like soy sauce.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon system in progress
jrhupp is offline   Reply With Quote