View Single Post
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:01 PM   #9
extendedmango
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
You haven't come across as a know it all. I just didn't word my remark properly to give you that feeling.

I'm not the best at putting what I'm thinking into words. In this case it was just a remark about "I was only hopeful that there was something I didn't know" that I didn't express well.

Hatching brine shrimp is easy, but it's best for seahorses to either sterilize the cysts or decap them before hatching out. Artemia cysts are known to harbour nasty bacteria.

After hatching, the artemia cannot feed for their first instar stage, but can at the second instar where their digestive tract is completed. Depending on the setup, this can be anywhere from 8 hours to 24 or more hours. I use 24 hours as the general guide for myself.

Once they reach the second instar stage, then it's time to enrich with a high DHA component. Probably the most used enrichment I hear about is Selco/Selcon products, but I'm not partial to emulsions so I prefer to use Algamac 3050 (now upgraded but I don't remember the new product name) which is a powder, stores well in a freezer for long times, and, is higher in DHA than even high DHA Selco.

Enrichment should be done, the gut loading stage in one 12 hour period, but it's even better to do a second 12 hour stage with new water and enrichment and at this time, the nauplii are not only gut loaded, but the nutrition will also have become assimilated into their flesh.

Because I'm basically lazy, I tend to go simple with my DIY things and that goes for my Hatcher/Enricher as well.

Many don't find it quite so easy to raise brine shrimp to adult but for dwarfs that is not needed.

My Artemia Raising Page

I tend to be the same when it comes to writing posts.

Does this setup work for raising the artema and enrichment? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...HFkxD2ON_GWg7A

Also, do you know of any brands that sell decapsulated eggs? Also is the second enrichment nessesary for the seahorses health?

All said, this seems to be more complex than I had originally imagined. I may need to rethink having seahorses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extendedmango is offline   Reply With Quote