View Single Post
Unread 07/04/2017, 10:07 PM   #146
Wally.B
Registered Member

THIS (Frag Tank Idea) is Failure in the Waiting ( Destined for Doom ), but will give it a try.

Sure I got excited, since I've always wanted a Frag Tank. And it is a good dimension.
When I visit people's Frag Tanks, I've been more impressed in the Frag Tanks then the DT's (in a certain way).

-> Such Packed Variety of Frags.
-> Easy to take Photos from Above/Side.
-> Easy Access.
-> Better degree of control on Lighting Levels and Circulation.

But the more I think about it and what it takes for success (which I haven't achieve with SPS), then more I realize the Frag Tank won't work.

The main reason for Pending Failure are:

-> Nutrient Import
-> Nutrient processing
-> Nutrient/Toxins Export.

I would really need to have fish, to keep the nutrient levels up, and I don't want a 3rd tank with Fish to feed.
And where would bacteria thrive?

I could join the Frag tank to my DT, but then I'm again low on fish, and the 65 Gallon DT isn't made for more fish.

But, I'll give it a try. After all the Tank cost about the price of a frag.
I will not invest more money as I starting thinking (that is when I stopped myself).

I'll just use the parts that I have, which does include a skimmer, the old Fixture, and old bulbs, and the circulation, return pumps.

I'll try the original Idea, which is to use Water Change Water (which I extract twice a week).

The key experiment is "Will the frequent Water Changes, be enough to run a Frag Tank".

Plus if needed, I'll start using up the Corals Foods, Addtitives. (Which I don't think I'll ever use in DT ever, from what I see happening right now).

I have two doser heads that are spare, and if ALK/CALC starts dropping, I'll just top it up.

I'll get some cheap frags, and if DT corals grow to Fragable size I'll frag them as Frag Backups (If this Project lasts that long).

My expectation will be failure, and if things fail, I lose nothing, but gain some fun building something, which I Enjoy.

Last edited by Wally.B; 07/04/2017 at 10:15 PM.
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote