View Single Post
Unread 08/13/2016, 06:04 AM   #4
vlangel
Registered Member

I had peppermint shrimp with my erectus and eventually removed them. When they get large enough not to look like an expensive shrimp dinner, then they get brazen and begin to eat out of the seahorses food bowl. Even my erectus which are more outgoing than Kuda would let the shrimp have first dibs on the food. So I banishrd the peppermints to the sump.

I also agree with dogshowgirl about tank size. Bigger tanks are easier to maintain. Most keepers agree on a 30 gallon minimum for a pair of seahorses but like dogshow said, 40 gallons is better. My tank is a 36 gallon bowfront with a 20 gallon sump for probably 50 gallons volume total. Set your tank up so that maintenance is easy or you will be tempted to let things slide. That is when your seahorses get sick and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Plan to have a minimum of 10Xs turnover too. Seahorses can handle more flow than most folks think as long as they aren't swept into objects that can injure them. They like to have hitches in high, medium and low flow depending on their mood.

I have nassarius, trocus, bee and margarita snails for cuc. I also have an atlantic cucumber for the sandbed. I use rio pumps that have very tight grating so no chance of the cucumber getting caught in pump and poisoning the tank.

I have a chiller and keep my temps in the low 70s.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote