View Single Post
Unread 08/31/2010, 12:01 PM   #1
thebanker
Moved On

Post iPhone / iPad / Android Reef Apps

So far, these are the ones I have tried. Feel free to add posts about the apps you've tried, there are more and more popping up all the time.

iPhone Apps

Aquarium Abbreviations - 2/5 stars | Okay app, just has a list of the various abbreviations used in the hobby, mainly on the web. (LFS, DSB, etc) Don't expect anything more from this app.

Aquaria - 3/5 stars | Has a fairly clean interface, nice fish compatibility chart, and a place to record water tests. It also has a screen that averages the numbers you input. The page to record your test results could use a little tweaking. Also, a graphing function would be more useful than an averaging function, IMO.

Dose - 3/5 stars | This is Seachem's application. The GUI is clean and easy to use. It has dosing rates for all Seachem products - except for Reef Fusion 2-part! Why did they overlook this? Also they should allow the input of dKH for alkalinity, not just meq/L. Update this app and you have a solid dosing application for seachem products. Edit: It also has calculators for planted tanks.

ReefDoser - 3/5 stars | This app is off to a great start. It is similar to jdieck's web calculator. It has an easier to use interface, but it doesn't contain as many calcium and alkalinity supplements. However, it does have calculators for K, I, Sr, B, and silicate dosing. Again, could stand an update with some more products from which to choose.

aquaPlanner - 4/5 stars | I was given this app to test, and I really like it's concept. It's simple. Set the desired intervals for various aquarium maintenance chores, and the phone sends you reminders to actually do them. When you complete a particular task (e.g. change the activated carbon), you click the respective reset button, and the clock starts ticking again. The app works well, and is a good reminder tool for the novice / intermediate hobbyist.

For advanced aquarists, I would like to see some user-editable content in the app. For example, one could maybe change "Chemi-Pure" to "Biopellets" and be able to numerically assign the time intervals, instead of using sliders. Also, adding and removing reminders to suit one's individual tank would be the key, like adding a "clean the sump" reminder.

iPad Apps

Coral Magazine - 5/5 stars | So far, this is the only iPad reef app I've seen and it is a fantastic e-magazine. They grouped the articles together for easy browsing, and it easily sucked up an hour of the day yesterday. It's nothing flashy, but as an e-mag (e-zine?) it works flawlessly as promised.

Last edited by Dino; 01/24/2011 at 01:38 PM.
thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote