View Single Post
Unread 11/29/2010, 08:59 AM   #17
Sk8r
RC Mod

"I come from the freshwater world, where temp was really all your were acclimating for in most cases (with the cichlids there was an issue with ph/semi-brackish water depending which you had) and I have probably been over acclimating according to what you were saying, trying to be "extra safe". "
This is worth an extra comment, because most of us start in freshwater tanks, and the situation with marine is different in one notable item: we use ro/di. Stores use ro/di. We use salt mixes. Stores use the same range of salt mixes. And while salt mixes are not all the same [some are high calcium, for corals, some not], they ARE the same in the essential elements that you would be adjusting for. So you and your store or source should not be that far apart.

One should also stress that before buying or ordering a fish, you always test your tank to make sure your water is what it needs to be. For convenience, I carry decent water parameters for lps stony coral in my sig, which will make any ordinary fish or invert quite happy.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.