View Single Post
Unread 04/19/2017, 12:37 AM   #485
fotoreceptor
Registered Member

Help with LED lighting arrangement

Hi folks. Im a Canadian new to the hobby and have been reading alot about LED lighting recently. I need some advice regarding my current setup.

I am in the market for LED lighting for current FOWLR tank. The plan is to move towards some heartier corals down the road. I want to get proper lighting that sets me up for where the hobby takes me.

Tank is 87" long, 32" wide and 32" deep. It is built into hallway, so top is covered and I have lots of room to hang the lights and no concern what they look like. I currently have some old 2 bulb T5's running the length of the aquarium on a glass lid. I know i have it greatly under lighted but Im just getting started and think it looks pretty decent to me for FOWLR. I know the LEDs will be WAY better and I do want to have some bells and whistles (sunrise/sunset, multiple channels, etc) that would make the whole thing alot better.

Everything on this tank has been a struggle to keep costs in check, and this includes lighting. Ive been following a few threads about lighting and we do have the more reasonably priced Evergrow brand available in Canada. Ron and others had commented on this brand being of good construction and well priced for what you get.

My question is, with the size of tank that I have, is it ok to have LED lights running down center of 32" wide aquarium or is it better to have a few small units running side to side to light more of the edge??

The lights im looking at are Evergrow Aquaocean IT (3w and 5w LED) or just the Evergrow IT (3w). I know height of lights will affect penetration to bottom of 32" and would appreate your thoughts on best setup.

Help!

fotoreceptor is offline   Reply With Quote