View Single Post
Unread 01/24/2016, 03:57 AM   #2781
34cygni
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallibon
34Cygni - are you not being abstemious for the month of January like many of my friends...?!
LOL -- I stand corrected. I don't suppose you know a rhyme for orange or silver, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA
At that time I thought CO2 was likely to be a big player, but this test showed me it is not. That leaves Calcium and alkalinity as essential elements for dinos.
On a sidenote most of the cyano left as well.
I'm sorry to hear you lost of bunch of corals and that the dinos came back. Is this experiment related to the green stuff you reported punching through the dino mat and then disappearing?

CO2 limitation looks like a nonstarter, as carbonate equilibrium comes into play and HCO3- breaks into CO2 and OH- when CO2 gets low.

If you want to pursue this, I suggest looking at alkalinity. Obviously photosynthesis consumes CO2 and tends to raise alk, so you'd think that a primary producer and its associated bacteria would be into elevated alkalinity. Additionally, alk can affect chemical reactions in the sediment and the bacteria that depend on them to make a living, including the nitrogen cycle reactions and the reduction of manganese, iron, and sulfur. For example, sulfur reducing bacteria need alk to oxidize organic carbon, meaning break apart an organic molecule by removing an electron. Here's the idealized version of that chemistry...

SO4-- + 2 CH2O + OH- ----> HS- + 2 HCO3- + H2O

Since some of the Proteobacteria ostis associate with are facultative anaerobes, you may have found a new way to mess with the dinos' bacteria farms.

34cygni is offline   Reply With Quote