View Single Post
Unread 07/16/2018, 10:05 AM   #13
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMocha View Post

Side note to Crusty: a Moorish Idol for 4 years !!!! That is awesome. Speaks to your expertise and good husbandry.
I had one too... Tiki. He died at almost exactly 1 year.. a little over. He was thriving. I thought I'd get him/others a treat and ordered different types of planted algae to put in sand for pecking at. One of them was to be slightly toxic, but "guaranteed " that fish only peck a little at it once in a while. A little is good for them....
Well he ate the entire thing the afternoon I planted them and was dead in the morning.
Yes I cried like a lil girl. I always wonder how long he would've lived if I hadn't made that mistake. Sigh. They are so majestic and beautiful!
Thanks. The only reason I lost him was I lost power to my skimmer pumps some time in the night. Skimmer was 4 feet tall and run by 3 sedra 5000's. GFCI tripped due to salt corrosion. I woke up at 3 in the morning to dead silence. They basically suffocated due to lack of oxygen. I lost 10 fish during that fiasco, my 8+ year old pair of naso tangs, Copper Banded Butterfly that ate pellets, Gold Flake angel and a few others. The MI was great and not shy, when I would put my hands in the tank to clean it, he would come over to see what I was doing. Always loved that fish. It was hard for me to rebuild. Took me about a year to recover and get the tank back up and in shape. But alas, the tank is now gone. One day, I'll set up another one.

A bat fish can reach 18". If you can keep him to adult hood, he will reach that. My Naso's were 12" and in a 7' long, 400G tank, they did OK but you could tell they would like more swimming room, even though there was only 2 rock "islands" in the tank. I think that was also why my MI did so good, plenty of swimming room. You may find a 300 G to be a bit small when he reaches his full potential.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote