View Single Post
Unread 12/31/2010, 06:41 PM   #25
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
Im going to be following along! I really like how you modded the ATI SunPower... Its making me have thoughts of modding mine. All I can say is I think you have a great idea! Pictures would be awesome.

Did you have to add another ballast or are you using the standard ballast? Also is it adding the shimmer that LEDs add? Thats the only reason I want to add LEDs to my Sunpower, otherwise Im very happy with the sunpower.
Thanks.

I did have to add another ballast. the Sunpower 6x24w has 3 ballast that run two tubes. Hence I needed to replace a double ballast with a single ballast. Easily done. I then rewired every single T5 tube so now, tubes 1,4+6 light up together, and 2+5 light up together.

Here is the final bulb configuration:

From Front:
ATI Blue+
Arcdia 14K
24 Cree Royal Blue LED's
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI AquaBlue Special
ATI Blue+

There is only a SLIGHT shimmer with the T5's on. IF you are wanting MH like shimmer then this is not the way. I love this light and dont miss my MH shimmer. In fact I had the lights switched on for both this tank and my nano tank which has MH.

I can say that I 100% prefer the look of T5+LED with slight shimmer, more than MH.

I was out for a few hours and thought I'd test how low the water temp can be pulled down by the Custom Fan Cooling System I built. Well after 4 hours the temp is from 82'F to 71'F. That is a whopping 11'F temp drop using only fans. The room temp during this time was 77'F. So the cooling system is so efficient it can drop the temp upto 6'F below the room temp. I will be running the tanks temp at around 79'Fn in any event. I am sure that with the two small fans and the lighting system I have, the tank will never over heat.

Because my living room is ALWAYS warmer than 75'F, I am NOT using a heater in this tank. My heater was never used on my nano tank and I see no point in having one in this tank.

Really pleased with this build. I just hope I get to buy some really nice SPS corals and they colour up nicely.

I have placed an order for a Fauna Marine Triple Doser. With the doser, temp controller+fans and the Tunze Osmolator the water chemistry should be rock steady; hence I am hoping the SPS colours ought to be very good.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote