View Single Post
Unread 12/22/2015, 10:41 PM   #2363
Reef Ruler
Registered Member

I've officially started the war on Dinos.

They didnt pop up in my tank until after I had gotten the GHA under control. After that they moved in pretty quick, but the tank is relatively new. So far what I've done, as of yesterday, is pulled my GFO reactor, set the skimmer to a drier setting....I'm planning on going with the "dirty" method, picked up a couple packs of pods from the LFS, and began a 3 day blackout. Started all of this at the same time yesterday, and I know that the blackout isn't very effective against dinos, I'm hoping with the pods and lack of GFO it might help a little bit. Oh, and I got a couple lb rock from their system in hopes of adding some beneficial bacteria that their system had that mine didnt.

I've pretty much spent the last couple days reading this thread, and I was trying to go to sleep but started thinking about the dinos. Thats saying something right there lol. I've got a problem. Anyway, the idea hit me and I'm not sure how effective it'd be, but I wanted to run it by you guys. Basically, with the dirty method, what we're trying to do is allow the Dinos competition to grow and out compete them for nutrients, as well as introduce pods and bacteria in hopes that will work as well.

Before the Dinos hit, I was planning on setting up my tank for a lot of SPS. Now I'm battling this, and luckily I had only gotten two SPS frags so far. Assuming we are talking the dirty method here, do you guys think it would be beneficial to add a product like Acropower? Everything I've read on this product says if its used in a higher nutrient tank, which is what we're trying to accomplish with the "dirty method," be prepared for an algae bloom and even cyano. I was thinking it might be useful to encourage other algae to grow and out compete the dinos.

On the other hand, whatever snake oil is in this acropower stuff could just be like steroids for the dinos and make them grow faster than ever.

Thanks
Brian