View Single Post
Unread 07/24/2012, 10:05 AM   #1
apexi
Registered Member

Swabbie Motor Defect???

I've contacted AVAST but haven't received response in the past couple weeks despite emails and phone calls. Their customer support has been outstanding in the past so perhaps they're just away on vacation??

I've been having a lot of issues with the swabbie motors failing. I'm currently on my 3rd motor and that also has failed. The first 2 were DC motors and apparently these were problematic with failures so they've switched to the more reliable AC motors. My replacement AC motor worked well for a few months and then also failed recently.

Unlike the DC motor failures (whereby the motors themselves died) the actual AC motor is still operational (you could hear it spinning) but the gear box is shot. I've tried to manually turn the shaft and can get it moving temporarily but it locks up shortly thereafter. You can still hear the motor spinning while the gears are "slipping" inside, almost like a clutch. There's plenty of lube in there as some of it is even seeping out the holes. I hope that it's just a string of bad luck with these motors....I'm still waiting for a response back from Avast to find a resolution.

apexi is offline   Reply With Quote