View Single Post
Unread 11/28/2011, 12:45 AM   #120
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Ok, I ordered a 8 X 54 watt Tek T5 for my 120. I ordered the leg brackets and acrylic splash shield. Since the Tek is not actively cooled I am becoming concerned about heat hurting performace of the bulbs.

Grim, I read on your T5 QA site http://home.comcast.net/~stevelarsen00/site/?/home/ that the shield can hurt the performace of non cooled T5 units like the Tek and help with the cooled units. I am pretty concerned about salt spray and have had a heck of a time with this on my 2 bulb retro supplement to halides that I am now replacing with the new Tek. The reflectors on the uncovered retro are pretty sad from salt spray and have not been able to be cleaned well.

How much will the splash shield hurt me ( Tek )? Is there a way I could cool the label end of the bulbs with a clip on fan and use the splash shield too?

The bulbs I ordered to go along with the Tek are ( 5 ) Blue Plus, ( 2 ) Purple Plus, and a GE 6500.

Thanks,
Joe
If you just gotta have a splash shield get a clip on fan and blow it against the back center edge of the fixture, from above a little if you can. It should force air through the cooling vents on the fixture and help a little.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote