View Single Post
Unread 03/31/2013, 01:12 PM   #1
EpicWin
Registered Member

2 Part Dosing help

Ok so I just got setup with 2 drews dosing pumps ( 1.6 ml per min) and added them to my reef keeper lite. I mixed teh solutions as instructed on brs and began dosing. It quickly became apparent that my tank was requiring teh alk pump to be on for 6 min every hour where as my ca pump only needed 2 min per hour. I thought this sounded out of whack so I contacted BRS. THey are very helpful but im not sure the advice im getting is correct, so im running it by all of you jedi masters. THEy instructed me to turn off all dosing pumps for 4 days total. they said wait 24 hours after turning the pumps off and them measure your levels. I did this and got these results. Ca was at 500, ALk was at 7 DKH. Mg was at 1400. I just took my levels on day 4 and now DKH is at 5.3 and ca is at about 480. THese levels indicate that my tank does indeed use far more alk than ca. BRS said I should be using the same amount of each additive in terms of soda ash and calcium chloride. When I look at the usage on teh calculator I will need to use about 5X as much Soda ash as Ca to bring my levels back to where they were. SO i guess im using 5X as much DKH as CA.. what am I DOing wrong? I dont think teh dosing pump will last long at 5 min per hour and on top of that from everything I have read the dosing of each should be at least close and not 5 to 1 .

EpicWin is offline   Reply With Quote